Our Latest News

Fly Neighbourly Advice for the Tasman National Park


Public comment is invited on the draft Tasman National Park Fly Neighbourly Advice. The draft Fly Neighbourly Advice has been prepared by the Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service in response to increasing air traffic over the Tasman National Park.More

Hybrid diesel-electric shuttle buses at Cradle Mountain - a first for National p


When you next visit Cradle Mountain you will be able to step aboard one of the new hybrid, diesel-electric, shuttle buses on your trip to Dove Lake. These new buses will reduce emissions and deliver a quieter, all mobility friendly, visitor experience.More

AFAC Independent Operational Review of the 2018-19 bushfires


Following the 2018-19 bushfires the Tasmanian Government commissioned an independent report by the Australasian Fire and Emergency Service Council to review the overall response and identify areas where more can be done to improve the State's response andMore

The Sydney Cove

The Wrecksite

The wreck of the Sydney Cove is located between Rum Island and Preservation Island at the south western edge of the Furneaux Group. The remains of the vessel lie in a water depth which varies between 3 and 6 metres depending on the state of the tide and are situated up to one metre beneath the sea floor, sandbags and protective netting installed to preserve the integrity of the structure after excavation.

Archaeological investigations have revealed that the wreck lies oriented along a N.N.E-S.S.W axis. It appears that the Sydney Cove, after being run aground at high tide was rotated through almost 90 degrees to its current orientation by tidal flow through the small channel which separates Preservation and Rum Islands. This hypothesis is supported by the on-site physical evidence which shows that the rudder and associated fittings, which were probably unshipped during the vessel's initial stranding, were located near the centre of the wreck site. While the hull had been rotated by the tidal flow, the rudder remained on the seabed where the vessel had initially stranded.

Captain Hamilton noted that the vessel's hull had settled into the seabed with a significant list to starboard. The hull remained relatively intact for three months until heavy gales in May caused it to collapse, making further salvage impossible. Archaeological excavation of the structure showed there to be 10 degrees starboard list as Captain Hamilton had reported. Thus a greater proportion of the starboard section of the hull survived than did the more exposed port section.