Constructed in 1833, the Low Head Light Station was the third to be established in Australia and has operated continuously for over 170 years. It was Australia's oldest manned lightstation until recently, when automation was introduced.
The Low Head precinct includes a great diversity of 19th century maritime buildings, many of which remain remarkably intact. The Low Head Pilot Station comprise the earliest surviving pilot buildings in Australia.
The Low Head Light and Pilot stations played an invaluable role in the establishment of ensuring the safe passage of vessels from Bass Strait into the mouth of the Tamar river.