Our Latest News

Explore Three Capes this August

12/07/2018

Tasmania's award-winning Three Capes Track has been a runaway hit with walkers, with more than 28,000 local, national and international visitors completing it since it opened in December 2015.More

Flags fly at Mount Nelson once again

26/06/2018

Tasmania's first signal station has been restored more than 200 years since it began operation on Mount Nelson.
More

Southwest ecological burns important for orange-bellied parrot conservation

22/03/2018

Planned ecological burns in Southwest National Park will help regenerate important habitat areas for the critically endangered orange-bellied parrot.More

Richmond Gaol

Visitor's Guide

Map of Richmond gaol area

Location of the Historic Site within the town centre of Richmond shown by the dot dash line.
(courtesy Gaol SAMP - Mary Knaggs Heritage Architecture & Townscape)

Legend

  • A North (1825) Building
  • B Gaoler’s House (c1833)
  • C West Wing (1835)
  • D East Wing (1835)
  • e Central Courtyard
  • f NE Courtyard (c1840)
  • g NE Courtyard (c1840)
  • h Former Airing Yard (c1840) now Police Station
  • J Former Courthouse (c1825) / Council Chambers
  • k Former Mustering Yard
  • L Former Watch House (1838/1844)
  • m Demolished Police Stables (c1828)
  • n Demolished Military Barracks (c1834)
  • P Town Hall (c1908)
  • Q Post Office (1984)
  • R Public toilets (c1980)
  • s Former Forth St
  • t Western paddock
  • u Carpark for Gaol
  • v Garage
  • w Approximate site of historic well
  • x Miller’s Cottage (c1832)
  • y Site of Buscombe's windmill (c1831)

The Richmond Gaol Historic Site comprises 0.79 hectares and forms part of what was once a Government Precinct, laid out at the same time as the town plan in 1824. In the mid 19th century the Government Precinct included:

  • the Gaol (A, B, C, D, e, f) built from 1825,
  • the Courthouse (J), 1825, facing Bridge Street (the main street) to the north, now known as the Council Chambers although used as community meeting rooms,
  • the adjacent mustering yard (k) (also known as the police paddock);
  • the Watch House (L), 1836, behind the Courthouse;
  • the Government stables (m) (now demolished) along the western boundary;
  • the Military Barracks (n), 1833 (now demolished); and

The sandstone Gaol buildings form an enclosed central courtyard (e) with the earliest 1825 Gaol to the north (A), the c.1833 Gaoler’s House fronting Bathurst Street to the south (B), and two 1835 wings containing Gaol facilities to the east and west (C & D). The NE and NW Courtyards (f & g) also built in 1835 complete the Gaol structures within the historic site.

The northwest courtyard of the Gaol (g), although now forming part of the historic site, is currently only accessed from the Police Station Yard. Formerly in the ownership of the Police, a garage used for storage by the Police station is positioned here. The northern airing yard (h) constructed c1840 is now occupied by the Richmond Police Station and Residence (built c1900). Only remnants of the perimeter stone Gaol walls remain

The adjoining carpark (u), and other surrounding land enclosed by the dot-dash line in the above figure form part of the Historic Site. The archaeological remains of the Military Barracks (n), associated well (w2), the courtyard well (w1), and other possible archaeological relics within the Site are  integral heritage components of the site as are the mature tree plantings within the site.