Our Latest News

Bruny Island Quarantine Station - now open five days a week

13/10/2014

The Wildcare Inc Friends of the Bruny Island Quarantine Station and the Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) are pleased to announce the Quarantine Station will be open five days a week from 10am to 4pm over the summer months.More

Strategic fuel reduction burn for Ansons Bay

08/10/2014

The Parks and Wildlife Service is continuing its fuel reduction burning program with a planned burn of about 425 ha in the Ansons Bay area of Mt William National Park.More

New Cockle Creek bridge completed for tourist season

07/10/2014

A new bridge at Cockle Creek in the far south of Tasmania has been completed, just in time for the start of the busy spring/summer tourist season.More

Maria Island

Introduction

Official opening of cement works in 1924

Darlington Convict Settlement c. 1830
(Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts)

Maria Island has undergone many changes since the first crude camps of whalers and sealers were set up on its shores in the early 1800s. The now tranquil island has been, amongst other things, a setting for convict stations, a stronghold for the varied enterprises of Italian entrepreneur Diego Bernacchi, and a base for the National Portland Cement Company.

Each layer of history has left its mark on the island's landscape. Structures have been erected, altered, re-used and demolished in each phase of settlement, leaving a complex, but intriguing legacy of historic heritage.

Further information on Maria Island can be found at our Visitors Guide to Tasmania's National Parks.


World Heritage Listed Darlington Probation Station

The significance of the convict probation era at Darlington was recognised recently as part of the 11 Australian Convict Sites World Heritage Property. (PDF 2.2 Mb)

Darlington is the most representative and intact example of a probation station in Australia. Its 14 convict buildings and ruins are preserved in a layout that reflects the key features of  the probation system in Van Diemen’s Land. The site has remained relatively unchanged since the convict era.