Our Latest News

Celebrating the achievements of landcarers

04/12/2017

The Tamar Island Wetland Cares Volunteer Group has been recognised in the 2017 Landcare Tasmania Awards.More

Horsetail Falls walk now open

15/11/2017

Visitors to the West Coast are in for some spectacular views on the new Horsetail Falls walk near Queenstown.More

Bruny Island Neck lookout re-opens

10/11/2017

The walkways and lookout at the Bruny Island Neck will re-open to the public today, following the completion of a new, larger car park that will provide improved access to the popular lookout.More

Toll House

History

In 1834 a company was formed to build the first bridge across the Derwent River. However, it wasn’t until 1840 that work got underway with Governor Franklin present to witness the first post being installed. Work was completed a year later.  The toll house was built at the same time, in order to collect charges from all using the bridge. The money went towards paying for its construction. 

Although the bridge has since been replaced, the original cottage still stands.  It is a one-storey, octagonal building and has been used for a variety of purposes over time.  Toll money was collected until 1874. Since then it has been vacant, used as a youth hostel, and is currently used as a centre for Tasmanian arts and crafts.  It was declared an historic site in 1961.

 

Toll House - early view showing the New Norfolk bridge