Our Latest News

Join us for the Power of Parks forum at Launceston

22/07/2016

Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) in partnership with the University of Tasmania is exploring The Power of Parks through a series of UTAS public forums celebrating the benefits that parks and reserves provide to Tasmania's overall identify.More

Shipwreck identified as the Viola

19/07/2016

Timber samples from a ship wrecked on Tasmania's East Coast nearly 160 years ago have been identified as the Canadian-built brig Viola.More

Prosecution for Stanley penguin deaths

15/07/2016

The Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) and the Circular Head Council have conducted a joint investigation after 18 little penguins were found dead near a rookery in Stanley on the State's North-West coast last week.More

Labillardiere Peninsula Walk

8. Labillardiere Peninsula Walk

time 5 hour circuit walk (14km circuit)
access Car ferry service from Kettering. For timetable, see ‘Bruny Island Ferry Service’ in the Southern Tasmania phone book. On Bruny Island take road B66 to Alonnah and Lunawanna and road C629 towards Cape Bruny. Just before Cape Bruny a sign marks access to Peninsula Walking Track. Long sections of road on Bruny Island are unsealed, but they are suitable for 2WD vehicles and bicycles. Allow 1.25 hours driving to reach the ferry terminal from the walking track. See map
fees Park entry fees apply. (Self registration park entrance.)
facilities Toilet adjacent to car park. No drinking water available at car park or on track.
grade Level 3  Moderate grade with some short uphill sections.
what to take Group B items, plus lunch and water
cautions Supervise children, hazardous cliffs, unprotected track edges, unpatrolled beaches – swim with caution
prohibited No pets, firearms or bicycles

This track circuits the Labillardiere Peninsula, within the South Bruny National Park, one of the more remote corners of Bruny Island. The walk is not hard and there are great views of the Southern Ranges.

Highlights

This walk will take you through some lovely examples of coastal heathland and dry sclerophyll forests. The peininsula takes its name from Labillardiere, a naturalist with the French expedition led by Brune' D'Entrecasteaux. The French party spent a month exploring Recherche Bay and the D'Entrecasteaux Channel between 21 April and 28 May 1792 and again from 21 January to 1 May 1793 

The remains of the jetty at the western end of the Jetty Beach are a reminder of the early days when supplies to the Cape Bruny lighthouse were bought in by ship. From the corner of the beach evidence of the track that ran to the lighthouse can be seen.