Our Latest News

Have your say on Freycinet

12/06/2018

Public comment is now invited on the Draft Freycinet Peninsula Master Plan.More

Ben Lomond recovery works update

31/05/2018

Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) will oversee the recovery works at Ben Lomond after a recent fire destroyed essential infrastructure.More

Southwest ecological burns important for orange-bellied parrot conservation

22/03/2018

Planned ecological burns in Southwest National Park will help regenerate important habitat areas for the critically endangered orange-bellied parrot.More

Ross Female Factory

Chronology

Guide to Tasmania's Historic Places - Ross Female Factory

Chronology of Events

  • c. 1812 garrison established at river ford
  • 1821 town of Ross proclaimed
  • c. 1831 brick and thatch huts built on the site for convict gang employed in public works
  • 1832 sale of land to settlers at Ross
  • 1833-5 permanent stone buildings constructed to house chain-gang employed on the Ross bridge; site included nine acre vegetable garden
  • 1841 site commenced use as male probation station and also housing chain-gangs working on the Hobart-Launceston road
  • 1847 expansion of buildings for female convicts; site functioned as workshops, 'lying-in' hospital (for pregnant convicts), nursery and hiring depot (for placing female convicts in domestic service)
  • 1853 end of convict transportation from Britain
  • 1854 closure of female factory; local Catholic Church allowed to use chapel
  • 1855 factory handed over to Police Department, vacant except for caretaker
  • 1862 proposal to turn factory into boys reformatory, not proceeded with
  • 1875 factory used by contractors working on main line railway; building in disrepair
  • 1879 proposed division and sale of factory into lots, not proceeded with
  • 1894 factory site reserved for Municipality of Ross
  • 1895 cottage converted for use by Superintendent of Police (extended using stone from old factory buildings)
  • c. 1897 remaining factory buildings demolished
  • 1907 police resident at cottage
  • 1938 Mr. Lthreatenedie Knowles resident at cottage
  • 1974 death of Lthreatenedie Knowles
  • 1980 management of site transferred to National Parks and Wildlife Service; declaration of Ross Female Convict Station Historic Site