If you plan to walk between 1 October and 31 May (inclusive)
– You are required to book your walk departure date, pay the Overland Track fee, walk the track from north to south (Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair), and have a current National Parks Pass. Advance bookings are recommended during the most popular months of December, January, February and April. (Note: If you are walking with family/friends using the same National Parks Pass (some passes are eligible for up to 8 people), these will be verified by staff at Cradle Mountain Visitor Centre prior to your departure.)
If you plan to walk between 1 June to 30 September (inclusive)
- You do not need to book your walk departure date, or pay the Overland Track fee. You only need a National Parks Pass. You may also walk the track in either direction.
Are you planning to walk the track with a school or community group?
Group bookings (schools, community groups, incorporated clubs etc) can be made up to two years in advance. For more information, please contact the Overland Track Administrator on (03) 6165 4254 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Book Your Walk Now
Overland Track Fee
The Overland Track fee only applies during the peak walking season (1 October- 31 May). The fee must be paid at the time of booking. All revenue from the Overland Track fee contributes to the long-term sustainable management of the track, including trackwork, hut maintenance, toilets, signage, interpretation and staffing.
| 2015-16 Fees (incl. GST)
|Children (17 and under*)
| *There is no charge for children under 5 years of age, however PWS do not recommend the Overland Track for children under 8. Daily walk distance is between 8-17 km and unpredictable weather, including blizzards, can occur at any time, even in the middle of summer. If parents/carers do intend to walk with young children, we recommend the children gain experience on other less demanding multi-day walks and their parents/carers have experience walking in Tasmania’s alpine areas.
National Parks Pass
A National Parks Pass (park entry fee) is required to enter Tasmania’s national parks, including Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park where the Overland Track is located. The National Parks Pass is in addition to the Overland Track Fee. All revenue from park entry fees contributes to the maintenance and protection of Tasmania's national parks. There are several different types of National Parks Passes available, depending on your needs, including Backpacker Parks Pass (one-person), Holiday Vehicle Parks Pass (up to 8 people), Annual and Two-yearly Parks Passes (up to 8 people).
When you are making your Overland Track booking, the booking system will ask about your Parks Pass and you will be given 3 options:
1. Indicate you already have a current National Parks Pass. (*Annual, Two-yearly, and Holiday Vehicle Parks Passes cover up to 8 people. If you are walking the track with family/friends using the same Parks Pass, these will be verified by staff at Cradle Mountain Visitor Centre.)
2. Purchase an 8-week Holiday Vehicle Parks Pass on-line through the booking system when you purchase your Overland Track Pass. (refer notation above* re multiple use)
3. Make your National Parks Pass purchase on arrival in Tasmania. See our National Parks Passes for options. (refer notation above* re multiple use)
Making a booking
The booking system for the Overland Track is designed to manage up to 60 departures per day during the peak walking season. This includes:
- 34 independent walkers* (maximum group size of 8, using the public huts and tent platforms/campsites)
- 13 group members* booked to use the group tent platform sites (eg schools, community groups and commercial operators)
- 13 walkers departing with the commercial tour company "Cradle Mountain Huts" using private hut accommodation.
*The booking system enables you to make bookings from the pool of 34 independent walkers. If your family/friend group is greater than 8, or if you are planning to walk the track with a school, community group or incorporated club, please contact the Overland Track Administrator on (03) 6165 4254 or email: email@example.com
Bookings are for the departure date only. (Accommodation at the huts cannot be booked.)
If you book on at short notice (i.e. less than 2 weeks before departure) you will find you have a limited choice of departure dates, especially from December to February when many people have their holidays. April is also popular, as many walkers come to see the changing colours of the deciduous beech.
The booking system uses a simple six-step process. A bar at the top of the screen will indicate your progression through each step.
Items that can be paid for through the booking system include:
To check if there is space for your walking group to depart on your chosen date, you may enter the booking system to view the Availability Calendar, without committing yourself to a booking. The Availability Calendar appears on the first page. You can select any month in the booking season.
You can also get a quote without making a booking. The quote is emailed to you in a few minutes. A link provided with the quote will return you to the booking system so you can make alterations (if required) and convert the quote to a booking. The quote is not a reservation or booking, and gives no guarantee of departure date.
When making a quote or a booking, you will need to have with you any concession cards that your group wish to claim, and any Parks Passes that anyone already has, so you can enter the ID numbers. You will need to show these cards at Cradle Mountain Visitor Centre when your group checks in collect their passes to depart on the Overland Track.
Please review all details on your quote carefully. Many details cannot be changed after the booking is finalised and paid. You may change group names and the departure date, subject to the Terms and Conditions policy. If you need to change other details you may do so by contacting the Overland Track Administrator on (03) 6165 4254 or in person at either Cradle Mountain or Lake St Clair Visitor Centre.
Please note: Once you have a quote or booking, for security reasons you can only access your quote or booking by using the same email address you originally provided.
Payment must be made in full at the time of booking. Your payment options are:
1. On-line credit card: only one credit card payment can be made to cover all walkers in
2. Telephone: The Overland Track Administrator (03) 6165 4254
If you have made a booking, but were unable to commence the walk, you may apply for a refund. Refunds are subject to the Alterations and Cancellations Policy, part of the Terms and Conditions, which are read and agreed to when booking.
Please download and complete the Refund application form. If possible, the form should be completed by the person nominated as the Contact Person, on behalf of others in the walking group.
Lodge the refund form at either Cradle Mountain or Lake St Clair visitor centres, or send it to the following address:
Overland Track Administrator
Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service
GPO Box 1751
You will receive a letter indicating your application has either been accepted or declined. Please allow 30 days for processing of application and refund.
Note: Refunds cannot be made in cash. If your original payment was by credit card, banking legislation requires that refunds of credit card payments be made back to the same credit card from which the payment originated. If your original payment was by cash or cheque, refund will be by direct deposit into a nominated bank account, or by cheque.