Our Latest News

Celebrating the achievements of landcarers

04/12/2017

The Tamar Island Wetland Cares Volunteer Group has been recognised in the 2017 Landcare Tasmania Awards.More

Horsetail Falls walk now open

15/11/2017

Visitors to the West Coast are in for some spectacular views on the new Horsetail Falls walk near Queenstown.More

Bruny Island Neck lookout re-opens

10/11/2017

The walkways and lookout at the Bruny Island Neck will re-open to the public today, following the completion of a new, larger car park that will provide improved access to the popular lookout.More

Kangaroo Bluff Battery

Introduction

Non-commissioned officers of the Southern Tasmanian Artillery

Non-commissioned officers of the
Southern Tasmanian Artillery

From the time of the first official white settlement of the Derwent at Risdon Cove in 1803, there was concern over the possibility of attack by sea. By 1836, it was thought that mutually supporting batteries on both sides of the Derwent could turn Hobart Town into a fortress. Kangaroo Point, with its steep bluff, was an ideal site located on the eastern shore.

At the close of 1840, arrangements were made to purchase the land. However, it took almost forty years of re-cast plans, financial delays and further land purchases before excavations commenced.

The Kangaroo Bluff site was built to support the Queens Battery (located at the Domain in Hobart) and the Battery Point battery.