Our Latest News

Horsetail Falls walk now open

15/11/2017

Visitors to the West Coast are in for some spectacular views on the new Horsetail Falls walk near Queenstown.More

Bruny Island Neck lookout re-opens

10/11/2017

The walkways and lookout at the Bruny Island Neck will re-open to the public today, following the completion of a new, larger car park that will provide improved access to the popular lookout.More

Maintaining vigilance with campfires

03/11/2017

Parks and Wildlife Service staff have thanked the many campers who have heeded the restrictions placed on campfires and pot fires, but ask that park and reserve visitors continue to take care while the fire risk remains high in certain areas of the State.More

Labillardiere Peninsula Walk

8. Labillardiere Peninsula Walk

time 5 hour circuit walk (14km circuit)
access Car ferry service from Kettering. For timetable, see ‘Bruny Island Ferry Service’ in the Southern Tasmania phone book. On Bruny Island take road B66 to Alonnah and Lunawanna and road C629 towards Cape Bruny. Just before Cape Bruny a sign marks access to Peninsula Walking Track. Long sections of road on Bruny Island are unsealed, but they are suitable for 2WD vehicles and bicycles. Allow 1.25 hours driving to reach the ferry terminal from the walking track. See map
fees Park entry fees apply. (Self registration park entrance.)
facilities Toilet adjacent to car park. No drinking water available at car park or on track.
grade Level 3  Moderate grade with some short uphill sections.
what to take Group B items, plus lunch and water
cautions Supervise children, hazardous cliffs, unprotected track edges, unpatrolled beaches – swim with caution
prohibited No pets, firearms or bicycles

This track circuits the Labillardiere Peninsula, within the South Bruny National Park, one of the more remote corners of Bruny Island. The walk is not hard and there are great views of the Southern Ranges.

Highlights

This walk will take you through some lovely examples of coastal heathland and dry sclerophyll forests. The peininsula takes its name from Labillardiere, a naturalist with the French expedition led by Brune' D'Entrecasteaux. The French party spent a month exploring Recherche Bay and the D'Entrecasteaux Channel between 21 April and 28 May 1792 and again from 21 January to 1 May 1793 

The remains of the jetty at the western end of the Jetty Beach are a reminder of the early days when supplies to the Cape Bruny lighthouse were bought in by ship. From the corner of the beach evidence of the track that ran to the lighthouse can be seen.